2.16.2011

What's In Your Brownies?

photo credit

I don't know if you've noticed, but my little widget that shows the titles in my book basket has changed. It had at least five titles last week; now it's down to two. I find that I'm becoming particularly choosy about the books I am willing to read.


I don't mind hard points, drama, or things that really make me think. I don't even mind a little of the "world's" ideas, even though I often don't agree with them. But I simply cannot read a book based totally on things that make my heart feel shameful or afraid anymore.


I cannot stomach books that include all forms of darkness and despair, as I once did. I had nightmares last week because I was reading a collection of short stories in which the men (in nearly every single story) cheated on their wives as easily as they swished mouthwash. I even pulled a review of one book I read (and liked) recently because I realized it could cause others to have nightmares.


I have not sworn off secular fiction. On the contrary, I am drawn to it because it is often written superbly. But I am further away from completing my local library's reading program because I simply will not sacrifice my spiritual health in its pursuit.


This weekend my pastor told a story about a boy who wanted to see a movie that had just a "little bit" of bad in it. To make a point about how a "little bit" can poison the whole thing, the father baked this boy brownies that contained just a "little bit" of dog poo. I realized that for the previous two weeks I had been refusing to eat dog poo--even just a smidgen.


Goodness, how do you end a post like this? I am grateful God has given me a love for reading, and shown me what is good and beneficial. And I'm thankful for books that create hope and tell stories full of redemption and reconciliation. Happy reading.

No comments: